Betts and Martinez out on the HR Derby

By: Tyler Walters

Other than taking first place from the Yankees, Mookie Betts and J.D. Martinez's comments about the Home Run Derby has been the talk of Boston baseball this week.

Both players have put any theories of the two battling it out in D.C. this summer to rest.  For very different reasons though.

Betts made head lines this week when he said, "Hell no," to participating in the derby.  According to the Boston Globe Betts says, "I don't hit home runs in BP.  Can you imagine me going against Aaron Judge?"

Aaron Judge has already said that he will not be participating in this year's Home Run Derby but the point still stands with Mookie as he describes himself as "not that kind of hitter."


As much as the baseball world wants to see that swing in the event, I can't say that I have a problem at all with Betts deciding not to do it.  He's made it clear that he doesn't want to go out and drain himself the day before the All-Star game (which he will more than likely be starting in).

Not only does he not want to drain himself for that game, I see it as him wanting to take that day and reset for the second half of the season rather than go out and do something that all of baseball knows he can do if he wanted.

Betts is having a MVP type season so far, and if that continues there is no reason for him to do something that's kind of placed a funk around past winners and the second half of their seasons.




As for J.D. Martinez, he will not participate in the Home Run Derby because the MLB decided they would pass him up for a bid in 2015 where he hit 25 home runs in the first half of the season.

      “MLB didn’t want me (in 2015). I figured I’d have the option of doing it and they said no. They had other guys they wanted, all these young guys,” Martinez said. “I was like, ‘Forget it. I’ll never do it.’ ” - (Boston Globe)

Can you blame the guy?  I can't think of a single thing wrong with this statement.  He went out, put up an amazing first half, thought he would get a chance on the big stage and he didn't.

The fact of the matter is, Martinez doesn't need the derby as much as the derby needs him.  Even though I'll still be watching because it is a fun event to watch, I'd much rather watch him bash home runs than whoever takes his place.

You can't tell me you wouldn't watch 50 of those on a Monday in July, but you won't from that guy.

You won't watch that from either of these two this year, or probably ever.  I love the Home Run Derby, but I won't for a second complain about someone who doesn't want to participate in an event that doesn't matter and could have a negative outcome for them.

Follow me on Twitter: @tylerwwalters

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Antonio Brown is Officially a Heel

It has Arrived: But What Happens Now

Red Sox looking to survive New York